The Mississippi Gulf Coast is blessed with warm, sunny weather through most of the year. However, the rare winter storm can bring havoc to South Mississippi's roadways in a hurry. Forecasters anticipate a decent chance of snow and ice today, so here are some tips on staying safe on the road:
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated.
- Don't use your cruise control in rainy, icy, or sleet-like weather.
- Use your seat belt! You should do this no matter the weather.
- Slow down. Since we don't have much experience driving in cold-weather conditions, slow and steady is a safe practice.
- Give yourself extra time and space to bring your vehicle to a stop. Ice and snow make it more challenging to stop a vehicle.
- Avoid driving altogether if you can. The best way to avoid an accident is to stay off the road in inclement weather.