Gulfport Wrongful Death Lawyer
Gulf South Law Firm Is Here for You & Your Family
The loss of a loved one is devastating. Finding out that this loss is the result of someone else’s negligence is even more challenging. In addition to dealing with the loss of your loved one’s emotional support, you may also be facing substantial medical expenses, funeral costs, and the loss of much-needed financial support.
At Gulf South Law Firm, we know how difficult this time is, and we are committed to helping you seek the compensation you need to move on from this tragedy.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death is when a person dies due to a wrongful act or negligence of another person.
If you have lost a loved one unexpectedly, you may be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. If your loved one died because of the misconduct or recklessness of someone else, contacting a skilled wrongful death attorney in Gulfport experienced in handling wrongful death cases is an excellent first step.
If successful, you may receive compensation for medical expenses, funeral expenses, loss of companionship, emotional distress, and lost wages and financial support.
Your lawyer will be able to uncover all your legal options and provide you with the guidance you are looking for. In particular, they will be able to assess your case and determine if you have grounds for a claim.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dangerous and defective products
- Premises liability cases
- Nursing home neglect and abuse
What Are Wrongful Death Damages?
Wrongful death damages are the different things that you may be able to receive compensation for following the death of your loved one. According to Mississippi state law, decedent's estate may file a lawsuit to obtain compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses incurred due to the victims injury or illness and the care they received prior to their death
- Funeral and burial expenses the family is required to pay upon their loved one's death
- Compensation for damaged or destroyed property if there was damage done as a result of the accident
In addition to these monetary damages, surviving family members of the deceased may request compensation for the following emotional damages:
- Pain and suffering that the family was forced to endure as a result of their loved one's death
- Loss of companionship, particularly if the decedent left behind a spouse or children
- Lost wages or benefits that would likely have been earned by the decedent, had they not suffered an untimely death
What is Mississippi's Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations?
Each state has something called a "statute of limitations" that sets a time limit for how long after their accident a victim or their surviving family can file a lawsuit against the negligent party. Wrongful death statutes often differ from general personal injury statutes.
Mississippi's wrongful death statute of limitations is unique in that it has two different deadlines, depending on the type of claim:
- One Year - If the death was caused by an intentional act, the lawsuit must be brought against the guilty party within 1 year of the victim's death. For example, an intentional act could include someone assaulting another person, resulting in their death.
- Three Years - If the death was a result of negligent behavior, the victim's family has up to 3 years following their loved one's death to file a claim against the negligent party. This could include a situation in which the individual lost their life due to a negligent oversight or failure to prevent the incident.
Regardless of which type of claim you are filing, it's extremely important that you consult with a professional wrongful death lawyer as soon as possible following your loved one's death. Complications can arise and witnesses memories may grow foggy if too much time is allowed to pass following the event.
Our Gulfport Wrongful Death Attorneys Can Help
Attorney Heath Sullivan has experience as an insurance defense attorney, which has given him a comprehensive understanding of how wrongful death cases are handled. Using this experience as a foundation, we can provide clients with the personalized legal representation that makes them feel confident in court.
Our Gulfport wrongful death attorney also has the sense of urgency needed to keep cases moving. When you work with us, you get direct access to your attorney, and we are available to you outside of regular business hours and on weekends. Our commitment is to our clients.
We offer free case consultations in person and over the phone. Call Gulf South Law Firm at (228) 231-3989.
Recommended Blog Posts
Our wrongful death lawyers offer expert guidance and answer your questions regarding wrongful death lawsuits in the following blog posts: